Job Title:Food Services Assistant
FLSA: Full-time/Non-exempt (40 hours per week)
Part-time/Non-exempt (16 – 20 hours per week)
Department: Shelter Operations
Shift: Monday – Friday (occasional weekends and holidays)
Reports to: Food Services Manager
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Posting Period: July 25, 2013 – August 9, 2013
Interested applicants should send a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Under the general supervision of the Food Services Manager the primary duty of the Food Services Assistant is to assist with the daily preparation, service and clean-up of scheduled meals in large quantities in accordance with health and sanitation requirements. The Food Services Assistant will also oversee and lead client volunteers and community volunteers who may assist in the preparation, service and clean-up of the scheduled meals to ensure that proper health codes and sanitation standards are followed at all times.
Duties, Functions, and Responsibilities:
- Maintain proper standards according to the Health Department and ensure others in the kitchen do the same.
- Build and maintain positive client relations.
- Promotes a welcoming, organized, and safe environment for clients.
- Assist with food and supplies pick-ups on a weekly basis.
- Receive, store and organize food and supply deliveries.
- Actively maintain proper inventory of food and supplies. Recommend necessary purchases to the Chef.
- Prepare foods for ongoing meal services; including anticipating necessary preparation for meals on future days.
- Ensure proper set-up of the Dining Room in a timely manner.
- Perform and oversee scheduled meal services tasks, including but not limited to; making tea, refilling condiments, setting- up tables, setting-up dish bus station, organizing and stocking food line, etc.
- Direct community volunteers who may assist in serving dinner; providing aprons, direction and ensuring proper health codes and sanitation standards are followed at all times.
- Ensure the Kitchen and Dining Rooms are properly cleaned, sanitized and broken-down after each meal service. Tasks include, but not limited to; washing dishes, cleaning surface areas, mopping floors, etc.
- Supervise client volunteers in dinner clean-up activities; oversee that proper health codes and sanitation standards are followed at all times.
- Effectively communicate shelter rules and guidelines with clients in a respectful manner.
- Defuse situations with clients in professional and respectful manner, while maintaining client safety.
- Communicate as necessary with ARCH Shelter Staff regarding incidents, to ensure they are documented properly.
- Answer all incoming phone calls; respond in a professional manner with accurate information, or direct caller to other designated department or community service provider.
- Represent the organization in the community in a professional manner.
- Actively participate in ongoing staff trainings.
- Attends all necessary meetings; including monthly All-Staff Meetings.
- Work with shelter volunteers to educate them and enable them to provide a service to the clients.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- High School diploma or equivalent; experience may be considered in lieu of education
- Strong organizational, communication and time management skills
- Ability to work in a high stress environment
- Current Food Handler License
- Current First Aid and CPR/AED Certifications (or the ability to obtain certification within 30 days of hire)
- Reliable transportation
- Valid Texas driver’s license
- Ability to lift a minimum of 50-100 lbs.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Practical training in culinary arts
- Degree in Culinary Arts, or closely related field
- Experience preparing meals in large quantities
- Experience working with the homeless or closely related population
- Ability to use Microsoft Office products on a PC platform
- Bilingual (English and Spanish and/or American Sign Language)