Job Title: Shelter Operations Training Developer
FLSA: Part-time/Non-exempt (20 – 25 hours per week)
Department: Shelter Operations
Shift: Week Days (Monday through Friday; occasional nights, weekends, or holidays)
Reports to: Shelter Director
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Posting Period: July 11, 2013 – July 26, 2013
Interested applicants should send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com
Under the general supervision of the Shelter Director the primary duty of the Shelter Operations Training Developer is to identify, arrange, develop, and facilitate training solutions for the Shelter Operations department. They may assess developmental needs, identify and arrange suitable training solutions, develop and conduct trainings, and develop training manuals. They will actively search, creatively design and implement effective educational methodologies in order to enhance performance. The Training Developer is responsible for improving the productivity of the Shelter Operations employees, ensuring that they are fully trained and able to complete their jobs effectively.
Duties, Functions, and Responsibilities:
- Build and maintain positive client relations.
- Promotes a welcoming, organized, and safe environment for clients.
- Promote the mission and philosophy of the organization.
- Responsible for documentation of agency training manuals and orientations for Shelter Operations; including ARCH Shelter, Kitchen, Building Services, and Shelter Operations Programs. Conducts research, compiles data, and prepares documents.
- Train staff to ensure accurate information and referral data is given to all clients.
- Designs curriculum and delivers training for staffs on various subjects including social service, agency policies and software, and technological tools.
- Develop effective training materials utilizing a variety of media. Prepares presentations and materials using computers, spreadsheets, or presentation software.
- Develop trainer development programs and coach other departmental managers and coordinators involved in training efforts, providing effective growth and development opportunities.
- Manage multiple and concurrent projects including timelines, costs, development of content, audio and video recording, digitizing media, writing user interface, and developing assessments.
- Conduct follow-up studies of all completed training to evaluate and measure results, modify programs as needed.
- Promote the use of technology and technology tools to support continued efficiency and improvement in departmental processes.
- Assist in creating and executing in-house training and system updates for all staff using HMIS.
- Assist with User Performance Report reviews for all staff users on a monthly basis.
- Works closely with Shelter Ops Program Coordinators on specialized projects at Shelter Director’s discretion.
- Maintain network availability of resources, training materials, and other information pieces for all staffs.
- Assist in the development and maintenance of communications such as bulletin boards and newsletters to ensure employees have knowledge of agency events and general information.
- Works effectively as a team member with other departmental managers and coordinators.
- Attends all necessary meetings, including monthly Shelter Operations Managers Meeting. Attends other staff meetings as are beneficial, including monthly Case Manager Meetings, regular CSS Staff Meetings, etc.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- 2-4 year college degree in Education, Communication, Liberal Arts, or other relevant field; experience may be considered in lieu of education
- 2-3 years training and development experience
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Strong customer service skills
- Ability to coordinate multiple projects concurrently and work with a minimum of supervision
- Adept at performing multiple tasks at once and detail-oriented
- Ability to work independently and be proactive in seeking out and defining job roles
- Ability to foster mentoring relationships
- Knowledge of multiple learning techniques and instructional design concepts
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office products on a PC platform
- Proficient in the use of computers and new technologies
- Ability to interact with all levels within the organization
- Ability to work in a high stress environment
- Current First Aid and CPR/AED Certifications (or the ability to obtain certification within 30 days of hire)
- Reliable transportation
- Valid Texas driver’s license
- Ability to lift a minimum of 50 lbs.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- 1-2 years social services experience
- Experience working with the homeless or closely related population highly preferred
- Experience working with Austin’s social services community partners
- Bilingual (English and Spanish and/or American Sign Language)